Thursday, June 2, 2016

Being Champion

I've been doing a lot of thinking since Sunday evening. I spent so much time and worked so hard to earn the title of Baronial A&S Champion...but what does it actually MEAN to me to be the Champion?

The way I see it is simple: my role is two-fold. On one hand, I am a representative of Their Excellencies and the Populace of Concordia. It is on my shoulders to carry that responsibility with grace and dignity, and to always conduct myself honorably.

My second role is to promote and encourage the Arts and Sciences and those who pursue them, whatever form they may take. I should teach. I should host A&S nights. I should sponsor competitions and provide feedback to artisans who enter. I should do things  that don't even occur to me now because, really, as far as A&S goes, I'm just as much a newcomer as anyone.

One simple thing I can do is thank artisans for sharing their work. Putting something you've poured your heart and soul into creating out on a table or a stand for all the world to see and judge is terrifying. I know it well. I also know the rush of excitement and the feeling of accomplishment an artisan experiences when someone appreciates their work. It's amazing, what a simple token left beside your display can do for your confidence.

I've built up my stockpile of wire-wrapped rings again, but I had to design a new card to use for the next year. This is what I've come up with:

No comments:

Post a Comment