Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Persona Pentathlon: Can I Pull It Off?

Each year at Atlantia's Kingdom Arts and Sciences Festival, there is a Persona Pentathalon. Artisans create five items that would have all been owned/used by the same person. Three of these five items must fall into different categories. It's a daunting task, requiring artisans to work in multiple mediums.

The next KASF is in March 2017. For the first time in my SCA career, I feel that I may have a skill set that varies enough to consider competing. What to enter, though?

I'm thinking Viking.

The wire-weave chains fall into category six.

The Norwegian-style leather coin purse could be category six or two.

Lampwork beads--which I'll be learning at Pennsic--are category three.

I'm gonna guess tallow candles would be category four--I'll have to double-check that.

Wood-carved spoons--another Pennsic plan--are another entry for category six.

Calligraphy and illumination are category one.

...and a heraldic banner is category seven.

Or I can do something British, which will let me do bookbinding and a blackjack but will leave out the wire-weave chain and the coin purse.

Or maybe not...the Trewhiddle Scourge was, after all, found in England. But that's probably religious. I could do a religious book with calligraphy and illumination and the church obviously would have used candles, too. Hmmmmmmmm....


No comments:

Post a Comment